A Thread Commissioner connects to and manages a Thread network. A Thread network requires a Commissioner to commission new Joiner devices.
A Thread Commissioner minimally supports the following functions:
- Connecting to a Thread network through a Thread Border Agent
- Steering and commissioning new devices
- Getting and setting Thread network datasets
OpenThread's implementation of a Thread Commissioner is called OpenThread Commissioner (OT Commissioner).
The quickest way to get started with OT Commissioner is to build it from the source:
- Get the source code from the OpenThread Commissioner GitHub repository
- Build and configure OT Commissioner
You can contribute to the ongoing development of OpenThread Commissioner by submitting bug reports and feature requests to the Issue Tracker.
OT Commissioner features include:
- Implements both the Thread 1.1 and 1.2 Commissioner (with Commercial Extension)
- Cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS, Android) Commissioner library
- Interactive Commissioner CLI Tool (Linux, Mac OS)
- Android App for Thread Commissioning